Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mama Said There'll Be Days Like This

You know what's the worst part of a wedding? When the bride dances with her dad. I am so overcome with jealous rage & crippling sadness that I must immediately exit, usually to a quiet place, like a bathroom stall, where I cry & cry. And cry.

Having your dad die sucks, bottom line. Having him die WAY before his time? Worse. Watching him get sick & die?? Simply awful.

But that dance, that special tug-at-your-heart-strings glorious moment?

THE WORST.

So for future reference, if we're ever at a wedding together and the bride and her father start to dance, you'll know where to find me.

Do me a solid and buy me a drink when I emerge from the ladies room, ok?

4 comments:

  1. Same here. You always hope that a loved one has the chance to grow old. Gracefully. The one good thing: my dad went while he was "on top" in a lot of ways. Probably the best couple of years of his life up until he died.

    Chin up. The Dads definitely would have wanted it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A drink it is. A stiff one, with as many olives as you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be hard. My best friend lost her father a month after we got out of high school. It was a sudden death and she was not ready for it... not that anyone is ever ready for it sudden or not. But her wedding day was hard not having her dad there but she knew he was there in spirit. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awful. I'm sorry you had to go through it.

    ReplyDelete